I have been working on this featured shops post for a while. I would write something up, delete it, write again, but nothing ever felt right. It wasn’t until recently that I had the pleasure of meeting Angela through IG and she has truly become a great friend. She is one of those people who is just a genuinely nice person. I don’t think she has a mean bone in her body. Well I have yet to see it at least LOL. She’s so kind and caring. I think I text her everyday. And she’s pretty talented.
Angela runs Curlyqscounter on IG. She has some of the best custom items I’ve ever seen. And I’m not just saying that because I have quite a few of her items LOL. They’re unique and fun and wild. They have the certain something that will add a little edge to any outfit. I mean I can go on and on about how amazing her and her products are, but rather than make you read a novel, I’ll just let you enjoy some pictures!
I mean those red pants. Really. They are my favorite pants right now for him to wear and I wish he could wear them everyday. And the bleached skinnies. They’re not to crazy but like I said have that perfect touch! I can dress them up or down! And the red pants. Forget it. So many outfit opportunities.
And my favorite of all the things she does is these custom aviator hat. You will see these everywhere. They are super popular and everyone wants them. But she took them to the next level. Nothing crazy. But now its personal. It’s not just a hat that EVERYONE has. It custom to your little with whatever you want it to say. I absolutely love it!
Hurleigh does have custom items from her too, stay tuned for baby outfits of the day, but he wasn’t having pictures anymore so we only caught him in the amazing hat. And with that, meet Angela!
How did your shop get started?
- I come from a family of ALL girls (4 sisters & a single mom) so fashion and DIY was always our thing. We are all super girlie girls. I started by making colored & distressed shorts for my sisters & I, and then when I had my son shifted to baby things. I decided when I was going to quit my job as a healthcare analyst to stay home with my son, I would like to still be able to do something, just from home. Being my own boss was really important in what I wanted to do, so I did what I knew and was passionate about. That’s kind of how it all came together!
How do you decide what to put in your shop?
- I definitely follow trends and take notice when there is something popular in the IG and Etsy community. For example, when teepees/tribal everything is/was really popular this past summer, I created some tribal/Native American inspired shorts… Triangle studs for the “teepees” and a large Indian head stud went on the back. It was exciting to put my own spin on that trend & have other moms like it and dress their littles in it. With all of that said, since I make one of a kind/custom items, many things I put in my store were once “made to order”. Sometimes a customer will come to me with their vision, I create it/put my twist on it, and then that’s how some of those pieces arrive in my store. I always photograph custom orders because chances are, others like the new design as well.
Who influences that decision?
- Of course I do look to my own child & family for inspiration as to what to put in my shop, but honestly I find a LOT of inspiration in music. That may sound kind of weird, but my mom was a singer and music has always been a staple in my life. Sometimes I will hear a song and it will really get my creative juices flowing and I think of something different and funky to incorporate. My husband was a tattoo artist & ran a shop for many years as well and has a tremendous eye for creative designs & art in general. He’s a great sound board for me in regards to creating new items for adults and children.
What are your 3 favorite items in your shop right now?
- Definitely the personalized “copilot hats” (the aviator hats that have become really popular with my own custom touch to them – personalized with a child’s name/last name/nickname), dip dyed overalls (the green & red ones that are specifically in my Etsy store – they’re unisex!), and my custom pink studded denim vest for baby/toddler girls 🙂
What are your favorite fashion trends for little for fall/winter 2013?
- I am SO obsessed with cowls. I think they’re so adorable for this upcoming season, I can’t even handle all of the cuteness that is them. I’m hoping to stock up on some. Also, I can’t lie. I really do love those trendy Zara lightning bolt leggings!! Pair them up with some cute Raine & Monet tees and BAM! Perfect outfit for fall/winter, especially where I live cuz it doesn’t even get down to 70 degrees until the end of Nov or early Dec (gotta love Arizona! Haha)
Where do you see your shop in 5 years?
- This is something I’ve been discussing a lot lately with family. I really want to withstand the changes in fashion & style for a long, long time. In addition to expanding my family in the next 5 years as my personal goal, I want my business goal to be expanding my brand. I will be incorporating a few new items that have been a staple/fashion for decades… More info to come on that so stay tuned, but, I really want to keep creating timeless pieces that are unique & special to adults & kids. I see my shop doing more to help communities as well. So in the next 5 years, I hope to be doing something that not only impacts my customers by putting smiles on their face, but also giving back. I’d love to do something similar to what TOM’s shoes do, or be able to give a percentage back to scholarship funds for lower income family schools around the US. I also want to be able to have this business really be my “full time” job once my children are in school. I’m trying to look to the future with this as much as possible to simplify things once I’m able to develop it more and maybe even bring on an employee or two part time! 🙂
How has the shop changed you as a person?
- Even though I’ve only been open two months, I feel stronger mentally than I was before. There have been challenges along the way, but I feel I’ve gained a stronger sense of determination in my own self. I used to think failing at something was the worst thing ever, and I’m soo driven that I looked at it in a negative way. I’m learning that I can’t avoid taking a chance because I’m scared of failing. I’m going to make mistakes, but I can’t be afraid of them. If I don’t try, nothing will ever happen. I love this quote I read recently and started to apply it: “take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.” 🙂
I really hope you go and visit her on her IG @curlyqscounter and check out her etsy and show her love. Take in everything she does and find something you love. And she is so sweet all my readers can use the code BAHLBABIES in her etsy for 15% off! Go shop now and stay tuned cause she makes mommy items too and her item will be in an upcoming mommy post! Love you Ang! (: Enjoy!