Ellie Luka – July 21st

Sorry for the delay! We have just been so crazy busy over here. Between our newest edition, we are also moving into a house and Bentleigh is got his tonsils out and starting school. August is crazy to say the least.

It all start basically Sunday, July 17th. I had been having a ton of contractions the week before. Having steady contractions was a normal occurance for me. I started having contractions when I was 13 weeks this go around. I could tell that they were starting to get stronger and more intense though that week. Saturday night I was having a ton but I refused to go in just to sit for a few hours and go home. Sunday I woke up and had a ton of pressure. So I went in, only after my husband pressured me and told me I was going to end up having the baby at home. When I got there my contractions picked up and were every 3-5 minutes apart. I was only at 1.5 cm though but because of my history of preterm labor I had to stay. Well to my surprise, my contractions got stronger and stronger. Even the shot they gave me to stop them only worked for about 20 minutes until they picked up again. They finally gave my a shot for pain around 8 at night. Between 8 and midnight I progressed to a 4, which of course meant I got to stay over night. At that point I was just happy the pain was being managed because the back labor was miserable and being stuck in that bed didn’t make it any better. When I woke up at 8 in the morning I was still at 4 cm so thankfully I got to go home! I slept pretty much that whole Monday. Back labor is no joke people! Tuesday I had my weekly appointment and my midwife told me not to be surprised if she was not here by the end of the week.

Fast forward to Thursday. I had an appointment to go get checked that morning so I sent the boys to a sitter so we could go and then spend some last minute time together. We went shopping and got lunch. After that we hung out at families with the boys for a little bit. And bam, water breaks at like 4:30. Seriously the strangest feeling in the world. My water has always been broken in the hospital. Shaeson was laughing hysterically because I was so concerned about getting fluid everywhere and every time I laughed it gushed out. Basically stand in one spot and don’t move and you will not gush fluid every where.

We got up to the hospital and got settled. The nurse checked me and I was 6 cm. At that point I decided I was going to get an epidural after Sunday’s back labor even though I was terrified after my last epidural, but my guy was amazing and made the process as easy and painless as possible. After I settled down and got cleaned up she checked me and I was only at 7 cm. My contractions had not picked up yet so they were still only every 7-10 minutes apart. We decided to start pitocin.

Not too long after thing got intense. I started to feel my contractions all in my back even with the epidural. Nothing to crazy but definitely had to stop and take a breath. My nurse checked me and sure enough, not only was I ready but she was basically coming out. My midwife luckily was at the hospital and he came in and him and Shaeson gowned up. I got ready, Shaeson got into catching position, and my midwife watched very carefully while giving him instructions on what to do. People always joke that she must have just slid out, but no really she basically did haha. My first contraction I pushed and my midwife yelled “Whoa stop pushing.” And she was here at 7:50 PM! Having Shaeson deliver her was such an amazing experience. We made her together and brought her into this world together. I can’t thank my midwife enough for allowing that special moment. Although now he thinks he’s a pro and ready to deliver any baby that may need it haha. All of this excitement happened in 3 hours and 20 minutes!

Our 35 week 5 day rainbow baby came into this world so quietly. Honestly I was worried because she just was not crying, just laying there looking around. We did immediate skin to skin and waited for the cord to stop pulsing before we clamped it. They only took her for a quick second to check her out. She nursed within her first 30 minutes of life like a pro. Our smallest baby at 5 lbs 7 oz and 18 in long. She is the perfect addition to our family. We are so grateful for her and the boys are just smitten. I can’t imagine a better labor and birthing experience for my last baby. It was literally a dream come true.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s